Thursday, March 22, 2007

Thursday Circuits / Knee Pain

I did circuits class today. We had 12 students. Chris was the instructor. We seemed to be spending less time at the stations and then we did some extended group stuff (hand-walks, crunches, planks) at the end.

Continuing around the room to describe the stations:

Mountain Climbers / Push-Ups: Alternate between mountain climbers and push-ups. Mountain climbers is an exercise where you get down on your hands and feet (like push-up position) and then lift your butt in the air and then drive your legs, but keeping your hand down. Kind of like running in place but all bent-over.

Front & Lateral Raises: Lift both arms straight up in front of you, then back down to your sides. Lift both arms straight out to the sides, then back down. This seems to be one of my weakest muscle groups. I used a 12 lb dumbell in each arm.

Barbell Curls: Biceps curls with a barbell. I used a 50 lb barbell for this.

Now about the knee pain.

My knees were achy yesterday and today, mainly my right knee. Several years ago when I was a member of the Northeast Running Club, an older runner named Jack suggested to do leg exercises (extensions and curls). Now a few times each year when my knees start to hurt, I just do 3 sets of 10 leg extensions and leg curls, with light weight, and usually my knee pain goes right away!

Weight = 190 lbs

No comments: