Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Tuesday Night Running Club - 4.5 Miles

Tonight's story actually starts last night. I had just finished refereeing a soccer match when Keith phoned me on the cell phone. His car had broken down in Cleveland on his way to the Indians game and he and his wife were stranded in Lakewood. I drove right in and picked him up and brought him back to my house, where his mother Linda picked them up and took them the rest of the way home.

Now to tonight . . .

I didn't have my kids and it has started getting dark sooner so soccer practice ended at 7:30 and I was able to make it to Oberlin in time for the run. Ken, Randy, and Cassie (Randy's daughter) were waiting and Brad arrived shortly after. The topic of discussion was Keith and his dilemma from the night before.

Come to find out, Randy had been at Friday's game and Brad was at the game last night, both of which included late inning come-backs and Casey Blake home runs!

Well, Keith and Greg arrived and it was quickly worked out that Ken would take Keith on in to Lakewood to pick up his car. But they had to be there by 10 PM. Even though the towing business is open 24 hours.

Our run was uneventful, straight and flat. Ken seemed to be setting the pace on the way out. I fell back a little bit, with Randy and Cassie right behind me. We turned around together and then we met up again with Ken, with Greg, Keith, & Brad up ahead of us.

Keith & Ken quickly took off, Keith transporting soccer uniforms and books to my sister Chris. Meanwhile, the rest of us were bummed about the grocery store closing.

Greg quickly ran over to CVS which was about to close at 9 PM, and we enjoyed a box of Fla-Vor-Ice. They were nice, but nothing compared to the Dole Fruit and Juice bars we used to get at Missler's IGA.

No comments: