Thursday, December 10, 2009

Reindeer Run 5K - 19:29

I raced the Reindeer Run in Lakewood last weekend. This race starts and finishes at Lakewood Park, similar to the old Two For The Road course. But they have improved the course, it now goes straight out and back with just 1 block to turn (so it's not a u-turn) around at the far-away point.

I did a nice warm-up of about 1 1/2 miles. I was hoping I could get into the mid 19's, similar to my 2000 5k best of 19:27.

The weather was cold, I wore shorts, long sleeve t-shirt, another t-shirt over top, gloves, and a stocking cap. I think the temperature was about 29.

I started in about the 3rd row. Started well and stayed focused, mile split was 6:00. This was a little slower than I had hoped, but not by much.

Kept concentrating, running hard, made the turn, and was 12:20 at the 2-mile, a 6:20 second mile. Did a little math and knew I could still run mid 19's with a solid finish. Got caught by the 4th girl, raced her in over the final 1/2 mile or so.

Oddly there was a 3-mile split, right where we turn back into the park. 18:55, or a 6:35 3rd mile. Finished hard and was 19:31 crossing the line, adjusted chip time was 19:29 according to the results, but it wasn't enough to get me an age-group medal.

Meanwhile, Luke ran 22:04, a PR by almost a minute, and finished 2nd in his age.

No comments: