Saturday, August 8, 2009

Scones, Smoothies, Sweet & Sour Meatballs

A while back I joined the "Team Beachbody" club ... besides increased website access and 10% off the products, you get a "free gift". Well the gift was a small cookbook called "Thin Kitchen"

I'm usually not a cook, plus I am a picky eater, but let me tell you, I have made 3 of the recipes so far and they are awesome! Very well received by the whole family, expecially my wife. (Or maybe she just likes me to take a turn cooking).

Anyhow first I made a batch of Whole-Wheat Cranberry Scones. I took these to a family picnic and everybody made a big deal because I had cooked, well they all got eaten.

Next (tonight) I had some time so I made 2 things. First was Chalene Johnson's Summer Smoothie - calls for OJ, Pineapple, Papaya, Mango, & ice (and optionally protein powder). Well my 3 year old won't touch fruit, but he drank his, calling it a milkshake. My 11 year old daughter is a vegeterian and I worry about her protein, we added the protein powder and she certainly enjoyed it.

The second thing tonight was the main entree - Sweet & Sour Meatballs. I made both the meatballs and the sauce (actually my 12 year old son made the sauce). The sauce was a little too spicy for some in the family, but the picky 3 year old ate about 4 meatballs (in ketchup) and my wife ate enough that her eyes were sweating from the sauce.

Anyhow, if you have the cookbook and haven't used it, use it! If you haven't got it, I'm sure there are other healthy recipes out there but we sure have had success with these!

No comments: